Situated in West Africa between Ivory Coast and Togo, the Republic of Ghana has a booming gambling industry, with multitudes of gamblers. In recent years with the introduction and evolution of the internet as well as smart phones and devices, many have made the logical transition from land-based gambling and sports betting venues to the ultimate convenience of online and mobile casinos and sportsbooks that they can fund safely and securely 24/7.
Being able to access online gambling websites is one thing while being able to deposit and withdraw funds quickly and easily is another. While most top online casinos offer payment methods to suit as many players around the world as possible, in reality not all methods can be used by all nationalities of players. This is why on Gambling Africa we only feature best online casinos with payment methods suited to players in Ghana and other African nations.
There are a host of popular methods for Ghanaian online gambling fans to choose from, and we’ve highlighted the most popular of them below, with a description of each. Before you check them out, you can rest assured that each one has been deemed secure, reputable and reliable and thus 100% recommended to use. If you live in Ghana you should be no stranger the following common safe and reliable online casino deposit and withdrawal methods:
Airtel Money (mobile money transfer)
Ever since Airtel Money was launched in Ghana a few short years ago, it has revolutionised the way Ghanians send and receive money, pay their bills, buy airtime and much more. It has also turned out to be one of the most efficient ways for Ghanians to fund and cash-out their online gambling accounts. Add to that, it’s very simple to sign up with and use.
As a mobile phone text/SMS-based service, Airtel Money is available 24/7, 365-days-a-year and is extremely easy, quick and convenient to use for anyone in Ghana over 18. The first step is to register for Airtel Money which you can do for free at any Airtel outlet, shop or partner bank in Ghana. All you need to bring along is your phone and a valid photo ID.
Next, you need to take a minute to complete an Airtel Money Customer Registration form which an Airtel agent will process and use to activate your account. Then you must activate your SIM card which you can do by texting the word "ZAP" to 222 or "AM" to 22221 if you have a Blackberry. You should now be able to access the Airtel Money menu on your phone.
To add funds to your Airtel account, pay in a cash amount to an Airtel agent in exchange for a unique PIN number, which you can use to deposit money for free, withdraw money for a nominal fee, send money to and from your regular bank account, and send money to other Airtel Money users, as well as users of rival Ghanaian networks.
More importantly, however, you can use Airtel to make secure, hassle-free deposits and withdrawals to and from your various online casino accounts.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Login to your chosen casino or betting site and navigate to the Cashier or Banking page and then choose Airtel from the selection of payment options on offer. You should see your online gambling site’s Airtel details.
- Dial *500#, choose ‘4’ for ‘Buy Goods’, and then choose ‘2’ for ‘Others’, and in the field provided enter the Airtel details from Step 1.
- Click send and you should receive a confirmation SMS from Airtel Money, and your online gambling account should reflect your deposited amount which you can access and use to wager or gamble with immediately.
If you’re based in Ghana and prefer to transfer funds directly from your personal CAL Bank account or Stanbic Bank account and your chosen online casino or sportsbook allows it, you can. Although this is one of the safest payment methods you can choose as no third party payment processors are involved, you should be aware that it’s one of the slowest methods considering bank transfers can take up to 72 hours for your funds to clear - both ways.
To make a bank transfer in your local currency all you have to do is login into your Ghanaian online casino or sportsbook account and visit the Banking page or Cashier. Then just follow these straight forward steps:
- Select the Bank Transfer payment option and fill in your regular bank account details, routing number and the amount you want to deposit / withdraw.
- Select your bank from the list provided (CAL Bank or Stanbic Bank) and click proceed and you should receive a reference number proving your transfer was successful.
- Make a note of this reference number in case you need it to verify the transaction.
- A deposit into your online casino or bookmaker account should be credited within 72 hours. Likewise, a withdrawal from your gaming account shouldn’t much longer than 72 hours to reflect in your bank account.
Ecobank (mobile banking app)
Ecobank is an easy and instant mobile money transfer banking app available to Ghanaians and accepted by many African-friendly online casinos and gambling sites. As such it allows users to buy airtime, make payments, pay bills as well as send and receive money quickly and simply which is why it’s such a hit with online gambling fans all over Ghana.
Essentially a mobile wallet, you can download the Ecobank app onto your smart phone or tablet and use it to connect quickly and securely to the internet. You can use Ecobank to conduct all manner of bank transactions, including the making of deposits and withdrawals to and from your many online gambling accounts - seamlessly, efficiently and reliably.
All you have to do is visit your online bookmaker or casino site and go to the Banking or Cashier page, select Ecobank from the available options and follow the easy and quick deposit / withdraw options in order to transfer your funds. With banking operations in 36 African nations, Ecobank is a tried and tested pan-African banking conglomerate and one of the most trusted financial institutions in Ghana and beyond.
MTN Mobile Money (mobile money transfer)
MTN Mobile Money is a convenient, fast, secure, simple and highly affordable mobile-based payment method used by many Ghanaian online gamblers to fund their betting or casino accounts. You can also use MTN Mobile Money to buy airtime, send and receive funds, pay your bills, buy airline tickets and countless other goods and services – all on your phone.
MTN is a South African mobile telecommunications company that has branched out all over Africa, and is one of the continent’s most recognised and respected brands. MTN Mobile Money is facilitated through symbiotic partnerships with various banks in many nations in Africa, Ghana included. This payment method uses your mobile number as your username.
Here are the steps to follow if you want to use MTN Mobile Money in Ghana to fund your online gaming accounts:
- On your mobile device go into the Mobile Money Menu
- Select Pay Bill
- Then select General Payment
- Enter your payment code and click OK
- Enter your pin code and click OK
- Wait for your MTN Mobile Money payment code confirmation and click OK
- Click the Pay Now option
- Enter your gambling site payment reference number
- Enter the amount you want to transfer and confirm it
- Enter your MTN Mobile Money pin code
- Wait while your payment is processed
- Check that your funds are available in your Ghanaian casino or betting account
Formerly known as SpeedBanking, SpeedPay is a popular Ghanaian money voucher system run by Capital Bank that allows users to easily deposit funds into their accounts with their smart phones or tablets. As such, it’s not surprising that so many Ghanaian online gambling fans are making use of this service to fund their accounts because it takes so little effort.
All you have to do is send a text message containing your unique voucher code (as specified by your gaming site) to the mobile number (as specified by your gaming site). You should receive a notification that your payment was successful, which you can confirm by checking that your funds have been transferred in full to your casino or sports betting account.