Like many other countries, Nigeria has a rich betting culture as droves of Nigerians bet regularly on sports, particularly the nation’s national sport, football.
Place Your Bets Online Nigeria
Because of Nigeria’s tumultuous political history, only in the last decade or so has the West African nation begun to embrace sports betting in its various forms. For instance, Nigeria’s first sportsbook was only registered around 2007, and since then the pastime has exploded.
In 2014, for instance, reports emerged that Nigerians - predominantly punters aged between 18 and 40 - were spending a staggering N1.8 billion on sport betting every day, and that figure is even higher today. In fact, it’s thought that over 60 million Nigerians partake in betting.
That equates to just over a third of the country’s entire population, and today that figure has risen due mainly to the massive growth of the internet. As of 2015, more than half of its citizens had access to the internet, and where you find the internet, you’ll find online sportsbooks.
A new generation of Nigerian sports betting fans were fast discovering the ease, convenience and speed of online bookmakers - both Nigerian and international. Where once they had to trek to a betting shop or kiosk, now their computer or smart device has become the kiosk.
In fact, online bookmakers have changed the face of sports betting in Nigeria forever. While many punters still prefer shops, many others have become loyal to betting websites as they are plentiful, safe and easy to join and use. Plus they offer competitive odds and betting lines.
Thanks to our trusty team of reviewers, below you’ll find the best Nigerian sportsbooks. Each is licensed, regulated and reputable, and crammed with betting markets - including many for Nigerian sports, as well as a host of generous sign up and reload bonus offers and free bets:
Best Nigerian Sportsbooks
Types of Sports Betting Open to Nigerians
There are three types of sports betting open to Nigerians - betting shops or kiosks, Nigerian online betting sites and offshore (international) betting sites. Here is an explanation of each:
Nigerian Land Betting Shops / Kiosks
You’ll find a host of sports betting shop operators / agents in Nigeria, including the four below which are extremely reputable and popular:
- 9jaPredict - As one of the largest and most successful land sports betting platforms in Nigeria, 9jaPredict has many agents across the nation that process all types of sports and other bets. Agents for this Nigerian betting company require a space in a busy area as well as printing and computer equipment, staff and fast internet connectivity.
- Golden Bets - A popular Nigerian land bookmaker, this firm specialises in fixed odds betting as well as a choice of other gambling games. Golden Bets agents require good sports knowledge, access to betting fans, a connection to the internet, and computer and ticket-printing equipment. All bets are processed via the Golden Bets site.
- Merrybet - This is of one the most recognisable and reliable land bookmakers in the nation, with shops and kiosks throughout the country. Agents can adapt their own retail spaces or arrange for a branded kiosk from Merrybet. That and the required printing, internet and computer equipment allows them to process high levels of bets.
- Supabets - A kiosk, shop, office or sports bar in a busy area and a security deposit of N20,000 qualifies operators to become a Supabets agent. That, plus a bank of laptops or PCs, a thermal printer, a fast and reliable internet connection, a barcode scanner and a special virtual horse and dog racing decoder gets the betting kiosk up and running.
The biggest advantage of land Nigerian betting shops is that they are more social than online sportsbooks because they let you personally interact with the shop staff as well as your fellow punters. Many betting fans feel the atmosphere found in kiosks and shops is unrivalled.
Nigerian Online Betting Sites
There are many worthy Nigerian-based online sportsbooks to choose from. They’re specially geared to Nigerians by offering a host of betting lines, and they allow deposits, wagers and cash outs in Naira, the local currency. Here are some of the best:
- Nairabet - This is one of the most popular internet bookmakers in Nigeria, with its huge selection of local and global sports and events to bet on. These include football, darts, snooker, mixed martial arts, American football and many others. It also offers in-play betting, virtual and casino games, and a generous 100% bonus on accumulator bets. Click here to sign up at Nairabet today.
- Naijabet - This is one of Nigeria's most popular online sports betting sites and for good reason - it's a ‘one stop Nigerian online gambling shop.’ Over and above its vast range of domestic and global sports betting markets , this Naira-based sportsbook also offers live betting (in-play betting), pools betting, casino games and even virtual gaming facilities. Click here to sign up at Naijabet today.
- 360Bet - This Nigerian online sportsbook is renowned for its generous odds, and huge platter of global football markets. For instance, you can bet on club football from Argentina to Japan, Nigeria to South Africa and every other football nation in between. It also offers dynamic live betting, airtime betting, virtual football and virtual racing. Click here to sign up at 360Bet today.
- SureBet247 - This is rock solid Nigerian online sportsbook that offers punters a great choice of domestic and international sports markets and lines, highly competitive odds, coupled with a stable and reliable platform catered especially to users of computers and smart devices. This Nigerian sportsbook is trusted by thousands of online punters. Click here to sign up at SureBet247 today.
The biggest advantage of Nigerian owned and operated online betting sites is they’re catered especially to Nigerians. This is reflected in the types and ranges of betting lines they have, as well as the bonuses and free bets they offer. Also, they’re licensed and regulated locally.
Offshore Online Betting Sites that Welcome Nigerians
Not all international bookmakers online accept Nigerians, but many of the best do. This is great news for Nigerian punters because it means they can access many of the world’s best betting sites, including:
- William Hill - Nigerians can access premier land and online sportsbook William Hill on their computers or smart devices. Launched in 1934, William Hill is still one of the most popular sportsbooks in the UK, Europe and farther afield, including Nigeria. Its sports lines are unrivalled, and it offers live in-play betting plus bold welcome bonuses. Click here to sign up at William Hill today.
- bet365 - Launched in the UK in 2000, bet365 has the distinction of being a privately owned gambling company that has grown into one of the largest in Europe. With an array of sports and other betting markets from all over the world, it is a great betting site for Nigerians seeking fast, reliable and competitive odds and wagering action. Click here to sign up at bet365 today.
- Unibet - Based in Sweden, Unibet was founded in 1997 and has evolved into a betting force across most of Europe and beyond. With a staff of almost 1000, this Nigerian-friendly sports betting site is reported to have over 9 million registered users who can access its lines and markets 24/7 via their computers and/or smart mobile devices. Click here to sign up at Unibet today.
- BetFred - Founded in England in 1967 by Fred Done, BetFred is a highly successful land and online sports betting operation. Complementing its more than 1000 betting shops across the UK is its online site that offers all manner of sports and various other betting markets, and caters to avid punters all over the world - including those in Nigeria. Click here to sign up at BetFred today.
The biggest advantage of offshore online betting sites that accept players from Nigeria is that most are long-established and thus highly trustworthy. This means that their reputations are beyond compare, as are their offerings, odds, facilities and levels of service and reliability.
How to Make a Deposit at a Sportsbook from Nigeria
Whether you want to register with a Nigerian-based or an international online betting site, the banking processes and procedures are pretty much the same. Just follow the easy steps below and you’ll be signed up, funded, betting and cashing your winnings out in no time:
- Choose an internet sportsbook that accepts players from Nigeria
- Click the Sign Up or similar button and fill out and submit the account registration form.
- Once you've verified your account, log in to the sportsbook and go to the Payments, Banking or Deposit page.
- Select Deposit, and a payment method that suits your needs, and finally the amount you want to deposit. (At this stage you may also be required to indicate whether to opt-in for a bonus offer or not). Lastly, click submit.
- You should now see your funds instantly reflected in your account, ready to be wagered.
How to Make a Withdraw from a Nigerian Sportsbook
To make a withdrawal from your internet betting site account, follow these easy steps:
- Login to your Nigerian or Nigerian-friendly sportsbook and click the Payments, Banking or Withdraw tab.
- Select a withdrawal method from the list provided, enter the amount you want to cash out and then click Proceed or Submit.
- You should receive a notification that your withdrawal request was successful. Be aware, however, that you may be asked to provide the sportsbook with a copy of your ID, proof or residence or a utility bill. (This is a standard practice at online gaming sites that is designed to verify the details of their players before they process withdrawals).
- Be aware that depending on your withdrawal method, you may have to wait anything from 2 days to a few weeks for your withdrawal to clear and reflect on your side.